Refugee School Impact
Recognizing that schools serve a key role in the integration of refugee students and their families into American society, the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) created the Refugee School Impact Grant (RSIG) in 1998. The purpose of the grant is to provide support to local school systems that are affected by significant numbers of refugee children. In 2021, MCRC was awarded this grant to assist refugee children within Erie County. MCRC expects students admitted to the program to increase their English language skills and improve their skills in math, science and social studies. English language proficiency will be evaluated and tracked through each year of the program. Additionally, the following activities will be implemented:
- After-school programs that focus on helping students understand and complete assignments
- After-school/summer programs that support remedial work or promote school readiness
- Programs that encourage high school completion and full participation in school activities
- Parental involvement programs
- Interpreter services for parent/teacher meetings and conferences
- Bilingual/bicultural counselors and aides.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction
554 East 10th Street Erie, PA 16503 | Phone: 814.455.0212 | Email: email@example.com
© 2022 Multicultural Community Resource Center, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site created by the students at Penn State Behrend in the Sam and Irene Black School of Business through Partnership Erie.